It’s time to show that supermarket who is boss.
Walking through aisles of tempting foods at the grocery store can be overwhelming. Try these simple solutions for savvy shopping and leave the store with a cart full of healthy, nutritious items in half the time.
- Be a Lady with a Plan: Grocery shop with a plan and shopping list. Know your grocery store and go with a list of healthy foods in the order they are laid out. That will help you resist temptation, and it speeds up shopping because you’re not wasting time cruising the aisles for what you need.
- Curb Your Appetite– Do not attempt to grocery shop when you are hungry, as you will be surprised at the significant number of impulse buys in your cart. Everything looks good when you are hungry and it easily leads to making unhealthy food choices. Shopping while already satisfied will save you both money and calories.
- You Better Shop Around– Shop the perimeter of the grocery store, where fresh foods like fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat, and fish are usually located. Avoid the center aisles where junk foods lurk.
- Up & Down– Look high and low on store shelves for the least expensive items in their category — and often the most nutritious. Brands pay higher slotting fees to be placed at eye level, and those costs are generally passed on to consumer.
- Give Your Cart the Once Over– Before you pull into the checkout line, pull over and do a final cart check. Make sure your cart has visually 50 percent fruits and veggies, 25 percent lean meat and plant proteins, 25 percent whole grains — and don’t forget to double check there are enough healthy fats, like avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters and liquid oil .